This zucchini bread was much, much lighter than the others, which is a huge plus with me, but that's just personal taste. There's also (gasp!) NO FAT ADDED. No oil, no butter. Crazy, right? All the moisture of the bread comes from the grated zucchini and carrot.
I got this recipe from a cake cookbook, which called it, "Spiced Passion Cake."
I made two muffins with some of the batter, just for kicks, but you by no means have to. Enjoy!
Click here for the printer-friendly recipe.
Recipe adapted from the book Cakes and Cake Decorating, Step by Step
Yields: 1 loaf
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot (or ⅔ cup baby carrots), grated
3 eggs, separated
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon ground almonds (optional)
zest of 1 orange (or lemon), grated
1 cup self-rising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat the egg yolk with sugar until fluffy and lighter colored.
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet. Stir in zucchini, carrots, and zest.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 in. x 5 in. loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!