Do you ever feel like the world would be so much more fun and interesting if it were made of rainbow petal flowers and fluffy buttercream frosting? Me too. So I made something that will make your little part of the world a little more colorful and happy.
Introducing...the ROCKING AWESOME Rainbow Petal Cake!
I know it must be a little funny to be seeing a colorful spring-like cake pop up in the middle of pumpkin and apple fall treats season, but I thought this would be a nice way to celebrate after surviving my first wave of midterms of the year (I know, the quarter system is weird like that). It was rough, but now I get to give a big sigh of relief...and bake!
A two-layer funfetti cake coated with rainbow buttercream petals. On a scale of 1 - 10, how hard do you think this cake was to make?
Actually, it's not hard at all! I'd give it like a 4. Only because you have to be patient with the frosting and refrigerate it to make sure it's the perfect piping consistency. And I can be very impatient sometimes :P
To save time, we decided to make the cake from a vanilla cake mix, with lots of sprinkles to make it colorful and funfetti inside. The great thing about decorating this cake is that you don't need any fancy piping tips or bags. I just cut a small triangle off the corner of a ziplock bag and filled up 6 bags with the 6 colors of the rainbow. As for the process of piping the petals, The Cake Blog provides a beautiful photo tutorial, so I highly recommend checking it out if you're interested in recreating this petal cake.
I guess this isn't so much a recipe as a little show and tell, but I hope you like it. And do let me know if you get a chance to try out this cake! That would make my day (:
P.S. In case you're wondering, I actually made the cake a couple months ago but didn't get around to posting till now. That explains why there's so much greenery going on in the background even though it's October...heh.
P.P.S. I strongly suggest decorating the cake on the final serving plate or stand. You might have noticed that the very bottom row of petals on this cake got a little roughed up during the transfer from cake stand to serving platter.
- cake stand (or serving platter) -- you want to decorate the cake on the surface that it will be presented on, because it can be very hard to move once you finish frosting it.
- 6 plastic bags, with small triangle corners cut off
- 6 food gel colors
- 1 recipe of buttercream frosting (enough to frost in between the two layers, do a crumb coat, and frost the rest) -- here's a good one from i am baker.
- 1 recipe of vanilla cake, plus optional sprinkles to make it funfetti-style -- here's a golden vanilla cake I've made in the past. (Simply omit the blueberries.)
- OR 1 box funfetti cake mix (or vanilla cake mix with sprinkles to make it funfetti-style)